“This chapel played a part in Welsh history in 1856, when the founding of a Welsh colony in Patagonia was discussed here – for the first time in Wales.
The Calvinistic Methodists established a chapel here in 1842. The building we see today, with its grand Classical entrance, was erected in 1867. The architect was Richard Owen of Liverpool. The chapel closed c.1999.
The Literary Society of Caernarfon met at the original chapel. One of the society’s leading lights was local printer Lewis Jones, born in nearby Pool Lane in 1837. In 1856 the society discussed the possibility of setting up a colony across the Atlantic where the Welsh language and culture would thrive. The idea had first been mooted in the USA, where there was disappointment that the offspring of Welsh people who had settled in North America tended to ignore their Welsh heritage.”
Explored: December 2018