“Nottingham Guildhall was built in 1887 to 1888 to replace the previous Nottingham Guild Hall on Weekday Cross. Following a competition with Alfred Waterhouse as the judge, the French Renaissance Revival design by the architects Thomas Verity and George Henry Hunt was chosen. Garbutts of Liverpool were chosen as contractors much to the annoyance of local building companies.
The initial estimate for the building was £128,416 (equivalent to £12,704,307 in 2018), and immediately the council asked Verity and Hunt to simplify the design. The building as erected contained the Police (magistrates’) Court. the Central Police Station and the new Fire Station.
The building was erected in Darley Dale ashlar and brick, with Westmorland slate roofs for a cost of £65,000 (equivalent to £7,112,107 in 2018).
In 1996, all magistrates were moved to the new Nottingham Magistrates’ Court building.
Between 1996 and 2010 the Guildhall was occupied by Nottingham City Council. In 2010 the Council left for new, modern offices at Loxley House, close to Nottingham rail station. Since this date the building has remained Council owned but is relatively unused. The Council aims to sell-off the building, ideally to be converted into a luxury hotel.”
Explored: June 2019