Guyhirn Chapel of Ease, Wisbech

History
“Guyhirn Chapel of Ease, also known as Guyhirn Old Church, is a small rectangular chapel in Guyhirn, Cambridgeshire noted for being built during the Puritan Commonwealth of England. It has survived relatively unchanged since this time, and is a Grade II* listed building.

Money to build the chapel was left in 1651, and the building was thus designed for Puritan worship during the Cromwellian Commonwealth of England. It was built on a site which may have been the location of a medieval chantry (there is evidence of some older stone in the structure). By the 17th century, the land was owned by Thomas Parke of Wisbech, who had Puritan sympathies. After his death in 1630, his land was purchased by Peterhouse, Cambridge, and it is on part of this land that the chapel was built. A stone above the door records it was completed in 1660, by which time the Restoration had returned Anglicanism as the official religious observance. The chapel was never consecrated, as the consecration and licensing of churches was suspended during the Commonwealth.

At the Restoration, it became a chapel of ease under the vicar of St Peter and St Paul, Wisbech until 1854 when Wisbech St Mary was created a separate parish. The Bishop of Ely consecrated the grounds of the Chapel as a burial ground in 1840. In 1871, a new parish of Guyhirn with Rings End was created, and the chapel became a church in its own right until George Gilbert Scott’s new church of St Mary Magdalene was opened in 1878. From then, it became a mortuary chapel (under which name it is recorded by Nikolaus Pevsner in his 1954 survey of the Buildings of England). Despite restoration work in 1918, its condition deteriorated during the 20th century, and the last service was held in 1960.”

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyhirn_Chapel_of_Ease

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *